Travel Internationally

Back to Activities Page

Export Regulations and International Travel

FIU faculty, staff, and students travel all over the world! The export compliance office assists in all necessary export compliance aspects of international travel. In order to do this, we have put together the following resources. For questions and comments, please do not hesitate to contact Export Control Office.

Before traveling abroad, it is advisable to contact the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate before you depart. To register your travel plans with an embassy and receive helpful safety and emergency information related to your destination, visit the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. For more information about U.S. Embassies and Consular Offices visit

Travel Authorization (TA) – Effective 4/10/2021, when a foreign destination is selected, FIU requires the Traveler to complete a 5-question pre-departure Export Control questionnaire, which can be accessed from the Summary and Submit page of the TA. This must be completed before the TA can be submitted for approval.  For additional information, see FIU Foreign Travel Authorization.

Activities and Interactions

While most activities abroad do not require an export license, it is important for travelers to be aware of the following concerns:


Presenters must ensure that all information in their presentation is publicly available and non-proprietary. Presenters should be careful not to include or discuss any proprietary, unpublished, and/or export-restricted data. Many presenters find it helpful to plan ahead: think about relevant topics and work that is already in the public domain and stick to those topics. Likewise, plan ahead for how you will address questions related to a restricted topic. Consider statements such as “I can speak generally about that area, but much of that information is proprietary and I want to respect our confidentiality obligations”, which address the issue and also demonstrate your commitment to ethical behavior.

Field Work Abroad:

University research conducted outside the U.S. may not qualify for the Fundamental Research Exclusion and may be subject to export controls. Before sharing the results or data from such work, researchers should ensure that the information is not export restricted. Please contact Export Control with questions, or if your work abroad involves any of the following:

  • Taking equipment or items other than those listed in the chart above;
  • Providing payments of any kind to a foreign person, entity, or institution;
  • Purchasing or obtaining items or materials from international sources;
  • Importing samples to the U.S. from a foreign destination;
  • Working with a foreign government and/or military.

Providing Financial Assistance and Support:

OFAC regulations prohibit the University from providing material or financial assistance to any blocked or sanctioned individual or entity. Any university activity that involves payment to a non-U.S. person, business, or organization must be verified against all appropriate sanctioned party and entity lists. contact Export Control for assistance with screening vendors, payees, and other parties prior to completing any international transaction.

What Are You Taking With You?

Travelers are encouraged to review and answer the following questions in relation to items that will be exported during international travel:

1. Will you be transporting (either through carry-on luggage or checked bags) laboratory instruments, tools, samples, raw materials, or prototypes?

If yes, answer the following:

Are you aware of any export controls that apply to the items, including EAR or ITAR classification?
Will the items return with you?
  • YES – in general, items that return to the United States in the custody of the traveler are temporary exports and are eligible for a license exemption. Please contact the Export Office to determine licensing requirements.
  • NO – If not, where will they remain? Who will have custody of the items? Items that do not return to the United States are a permanent export to the country of travel. Please contact the Export Office for assistance.
Will you be providing any items (temporarily or permanently) to another individual or collaborating institution?
  • YES – please contact the Export Office with the following information:
    • The name(s) of the receiving individual and/or institution
    • A list of the items that will be transferred
    • Whether the transfer is temporary (i.e. for the duration of the visit) or permanent
  • NO

2. Will you be traveling with a portable electronic device (including cell phones, tablets, smart watches, and laptops) containing proprietary export controlled data, or data which is associated with an export-restricted research project or instrument that you have been or are working on currently (even if such data has nothing to do with the purpose of your immediate travel)?

Yes or No.
  • YES – Please review the following questions and contact the Export Office for assistance:
    • What data is contained on the device(s)?
    • What project or instrument is the data associated with?
    • Will the data be used in the course of the anticipated travel?
    • Do you intend to share the data during your travel? If so, with whom?
  • NO

3. Will you be transporting any device that incorporates specialized scientific software (not including standard business software such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, etc.) or software programs containing or constituting specialized cryptographic functionality (not including routine commercial laptop cryptographic protection)?

If yes, ask the following:

Yes or No.
  • YES – Please contact the Export Office with the following information:
    • List the software by name and version.
    • Describe what the software is used for.
    • Will the software be used by or transferred to anyone else during your travel? If so, to whom?
  • NO

4. Will you be providing any specific training or technical assistance to another individual, entity, or governmental institution (or representatives) beyond scientific collaboration in fundamental research?

Yes or No.
  • YES – Please contact the Export Office to discuss the scope and subject of the training, and who will receive the training.
  • NO

Where Are You Going?

  • Cuba, Iran, Syria, or North Korea: These countries are comprehensively sanctioned by OFAC, and most exports to these countries require licenses. Likewise, travel to a comprehensively sanctioned country is only allowed in limited circumstances. The export office can work with travelers to plan and develop a trip that is allowed under U.S. law. Please contact the Export Office as soon as you anticipate travel to a sanctioned country. The export office also provides ongoing support to travelers, particularly those going to sanctioned destinations, in case questions or issues arise while in-country.
    Traveling to Cuba?
      Please review our Special Information for travel to Cuba
  • Traveling to Iran?  Please review our Special Information for travel to Iran
  • Other Destinations: Many countries have industry- or program-specific ‘targeted’ sanctions under OFAC regulations. While travel to these countries is not prohibited, travelers should contact the Export Office to determine whether specific sanctions apply to their destination and itinerary. More information on Sanctions and Embargoes can be found in the Embargoes & Sanctioned Countries section.
  • Restricted and Prohibited Entities: There are a number of individuals and entities around the world that are subject to special restrictions. For many of these entities, ALL exports of even basic items (including clothing, notepads, etc.) require an export license. To determine whether an individual or entity is subject to restrictions, perform a Restricted Party Screening using Visual Compliance, or contact the Export Office. More information on Restricted Parties can be found in the Restricted Parties section.